Hi everyone, Adrien here with my first blog post. I love all things crafty! This year I decided to tackle our Christmas Tree skirt. Well to be honest in the 7+ years Billy and I have been married we have never had a tree skirt, so I aimed to fix that this year.
That brings us to this amazing shabby chic, slightly rustic tree skirt! What I love about this skirt is that it was inexpensive, took very little time, and it was easy.
Supplies you will need:
First things first if your skirt has bulky details on it remove them. I recommend removing them to make it easier to glue the fabric strips down. After your skirt is ready cut your fabric strips.
The length of the strip does not matter but having the same width is very important! I cut my fabric strips to be a width of 3 inches. I found it easiest to use a rotary board and cutter for cutting the strips but scissors work as well.
Keep cutting till you have a nice big pile of fabric strips.
Now let the gluing begin! Starting at the very near the edge of the skirt place a bead/line of glue few inches long. Press the fabric in to the glue and pinch as you go along creating a ruffle. Now just keep working your way along the skirt.
If need be go back and put a dot of glue behind each ruffle to help it lay down.
When starting the second and remaining rows place them only a couple inches apart. You want the fabric to overlap. If you are alternating between burlap and muslin watch your fingers, the hot glue will come through the fabric.
Now just keep working your way around the skirt alternating fabrics with each row.
At the edges of my tree skirt where it joins in the back I chose to add a strip of scrap fabric to strengthen my skirt since it is felt and easily pulls. I also used ribbon at the collar of the tree to stabilize the felt base fabric.
Now look at all those ruffles, they are just perfect!
I chose cream and white shades to keep the color scheme neutral but you could easily do this with any colors you fancy.
I hope you enjoy your new tree skirt!
Today I'm featuring a thrift store chest of drawers that my sister-in-law and I found. I thought I'd have to paint the whole thing because of damage to the veneer. But alas, while sanding some goop off of the top, I realized that the veneer underneath was perfectly fine and sanded the whole thing. I decided to stain the top in Cappuccino Stain Oil, the perfect rich brown.
All of the furniture pieces with the exception of the industrial shelving unit are used pieces that I've re-homed and painted with Fusion Mineral Paint.
Sign up for sales and product alerts